Bomb Throwing Pacifist

If you took that happy, smiling guy from the box of Quaker Oats, handed him a bottle of gin and a rifle, and pissed him off to a point where he decided he wasn't going to take it anymore, you'd get a little something like this.

Monday, August 21, 2006

We are back!

Terribly sorry for my long absence my friends, but there is no need to worry. Despite the long hours, countless near-death escapes and thrilling adventures over the course of my vacation in Western Pennsylvania an undisclosed location, I am happy to say that I was successful in my mission and coincidentally had a lot of fun in the bargain. Regular posting will resume shortly (or, at least, as often as "regular" really is around here). And now for an observation.

On my way to the work secret resistance headquarters this morning, I came across a bus bearing a rather peculiar advertisement. Now normally I do not spend too too much time dwelling on the innane scribblings of corporate powerhouses or the sniveling public transportation groups that allow themselves to be so defaced with Cheaper by the Dozen II posters for a filthy advertising fee. However, today I make an exception to the rule and actually bothered to read the advertisement.

Apparently, various entities within the Pentagon do not believe that the morale of the American public with regards to the war is quite high enough, and that this might in fact cause the troops to feel a little miffed. After all, while the true believers in the cause might never allow their terrific lack of popularity to affect their attitude towards the mission, even the staunchest supporter of the war effort must admit that suddenly it becomes much harder to keep the rank and file motivated at times. Especially when the once-cool and happening war on Terror/Iraq has suffered a catastrophic decline in popularity and now finds itself sitting alone in the lunch hall, far from the laughter, paper footballs, and bloody knuckles of the other, more popular kids.

As such, the pentagon has decided to hold a series of "America Supports You" rallies around the country to bolster the morale of the troops bogged down in a wasteful, expensive, never-ending abortion of a geopolitical powergame based off of a simplistic, totalitarian, and thoroughly discredited ideological dogma in Iraq. However, while this is all well and good, it was not exactly enough to divert my attention away from the other mundane trivialities of life such as crossing the street and trying to find my office keys. No, my friends. This is what caught my attention: their logo.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I must say it took me a good 30 seconds of thinking about it to realize that the tab and dots along the length of the blue ribbon was not in fact a slowly descending jeans zipper, but rather a stylized dog tag. Allow me to compare the image above with another, far more recognizable pop culture icon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Two advertisements. Both revolve around colossal f**k-ups. That is all.
Marc with a C, 1:16 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment