Bomb Throwing Pacifist

If you took that happy, smiling guy from the box of Quaker Oats, handed him a bottle of gin and a rifle, and pissed him off to a point where he decided he wasn't going to take it anymore, you'd get a little something like this.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

A (not-so-)Bleak Midwinter

Things have been busy at work. But such is the way of the world. The project is moving along fairly well and I am keeping on top of things all right, so life is good.

I finished "The Light Ages" by Ian Mcleod last night. Overall, it was a good book, although some of the criticisms were justified. It did move awfully slowly at times and the plotting was not quite as tight as I would have liked. Also, I felt the ending was fairly weak, considering where I felt the story was going. Surprises are good, as are books that break with the mold. However, I can't help but feel a little disappointed over the result. Next up, I will reprise Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" where I left off. It's a good book, although very disturbing. Heck, I may go to the used book store down Chantilly way before long.

In other news, I've begun work on rennovating my Bascinet for SCA combat. I decided that I had a nice, light helm and that the aventail was way too heavy and a pain in the butt. So I'm pulling it off and I'm going to be making a cowl/hood type skirting out of cloth and sewing in heavy leather scales to reeinforce it. That way I don't need to wear a gorget unless I want to. I'm also considering going to bastard sword at some point too, to try out what it's like to fight with little or no shield. Either that or a buckler.

A bit of snippiness going on down at the 17th's discussion list, but it will pass. I'm trying hard to fit in and do a good job with the unit, but sometimes when the rhetoric gets heated, I can't help but wonder if my committment to the unit is really what I want it to be. I mean, I think the unit is a lot of fun and enjoy doing what I do, but I sure don't have any lofty sense of an overarching "mission" or anything of that nature. Not to mention that Stu, one of the really cool guys who drew me in isn't really playing all that much any more. That, and the fact that it's really hard to sew by proxy is making life somewhat uneasy for me. I want to reenact and want to be a part of the 17th, but at the same time, I have other, greater committments and certainly don't want to make it the center of my life, or get so involved that it's no longer fun, which it certainly can become if all we do is sit around bitching about how much we need to get off our asses and work harder.

On a brighter note, IB 12 is coming up, and I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be good to be in Rencester again, if only for a short while.
Marc with a C, 2:18 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment